What are you reading?

So you can apparently tell a lot about a person from the kind of books they like to read. According to studies, people who like biographies are different – personality-wise – from people who like fantasy and people who like historical fiction are different from people who enjoy romance. I wouldn’t know if that is actually true, but I do know you can tell my mood and state of mind from what I like to read at a specific moment in time.

So…

Cover

1 2It’s probably easy enough to guess which state of mind I’m in at the moment. You won’t even need to look at my “read” widget in the sidebar…

Hobbits, anyone?

My mother keeps carrying more Agatha Christie books into my room, so I never have a shortage of those. Every time it’s the same story: “You have to read this one. It’s better than all the others! The plot twistsโ€”” And the next one will also be better. That’s the nice thing about them. You have a 99% chance of being blown away every time.

A good book is the best of friends, the same to-day and for ever.

– Martin Tupper

What about you? What do you read when you need comfort and a port from the storm?

I’ve got another post to be published shortly, so be sure to stay tuned for that!

Siggy

1. When I need comforting, I usually turn to my old favourites: the classics. Reading a Jane Austen novel is excellent balm for the soul! ๐Ÿ˜€

February 2, 2014 at 11:42

• I agree, there is something very comforting about knowing that (for example) Colonel Brandon, after everything he has to go through, will get his lady in the end. ๐Ÿ™‚

February 3, 2014 at 22:22

2. I read fantasy no matter what mood I’m in. It’s pretty much all I read! Not that I can’t appreciate other genres, but fantasy is my favorite, so I just always end up choosing the fantasy novels over the others. I have yet to tire of it. ๐Ÿ˜€

February 3, 2014 at 00:56

• I’ve become disillusioned with fantasy. I still love and trust the old authors, but I’m not nearly as quick to give new-to-me authors a chance as I once was. There’s a lot of bad fantasy these days and I’ve grown tired of the disappointment.

February 3, 2014 at 22:24

• I totally understand! But I think in any genre there are a lot of bad ones. You just have to be careful whose recommendations to trust. ๐Ÿ˜‰

February 4, 2014 at 03:11

• That’s true. I definitely don’t trust the media for recommendations any more!

February 9, 2014 at 02:47

• Definitely not!

February 9, 2014 at 07:06

3. Yom

I end up flipping through meditation and self-help books to comfort myself. And on other days, history books and whatever my mind wants to read. I can always be random.

February 3, 2014 at 20:27

• Well, I’d read a history book for no other reason than because I can, so who am I to judge? ๐Ÿ™‚

February 3, 2014 at 22:34