The Job Hunter

As I am now no longer a student, but have acquired the new label of “unemployed”, I was thinking of the tools I’m using while looking for a job. Here is an analysis of those tools.

Cover

2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9New theme! Did anyone notice? Ahem… I’ve sent in one application so far. Haven’t heard anything, but I’m also not sure if the place is up and running yet, because they were definitely closed for the holidays. So yeah, I’m not sure when to start thinking “I’m not going to hear anything, I should try the next one.” I’m not stressed at all… yet… I’ve hardly started trying! And it’s bound to take a while.

My mother, on the other hand, is the complete opposite. Sometimes I feel like I have a disease called “unemployment”, because that’s how many people around me are reacting. It’s something that must be cured as soon as possible and it needs treatment and lots of fussing around. Is it contagious?

Maybe you can’t tell, but I’m feeling a lot better than when I wrote my New Year’s post. I was really miserable a week ago, but I’m better now. I still feel that my life has fragmented. Actually, I feel like my life started cracking during the last months of 2013, before during the holidays it finally shattered and fragmented. It’s over now. But I’m going to rebuild. I still have some of the pieces and I will rebuild my life. It won’t be the same life that I had during university, but then again, it’s not meant to be.

I feel much the same way about this blog. It shattered during the latter part of last year. I couldn’t face it anymore. I didn’t want it anymore, most days. I will rebuild it too. That’s where the theme change comes in. I’m giving the blog a facelift. I want it to change. I had lots of time to think about this and I’ve concluded that I want things to be simpler. I want to be able to post things that are only one frame or a couple of paragraphs long and not feel guilty about it. I still want my cartoons, but I don’t want to feel that my posts need to be a certain length to be worth something. I’ve scrapped ideas and things to share before, because they weren’t “enough”. I want this to stop. My blog lost something along the way in 2013. In 2014, I want to look for a new something. I’m a different person than when I started out here. Most obviously in this context, I didn’t have a degree then and now I have two… or one and a bit, depending on how you count. I was a student and now I’m a fresh graduate. The blog has also changed (for one thing, my stick figures are more attractive πŸ˜› ). The regular readers and commenters have also changed and so the blog should adapt. CC is now light blue and white for a new life.

Will you come along for the ride? Also, what do you think of the new theme? I’m not that happy that my images are now smaller, but they don’t really need to be that large, do they? I can make them bigger, but only if I can say goodbye to the sidebar… and I’m not quite ready to do that. I love the rest of the theme though. Also I really, really wanted that post slider. (You have to go to the home page to see it.)

2013 ended on a whole bunch of lows for me. I was bombarded in one day with the two worst marks I ever got for my last two assignments of the year. It was so bad that there was no way I was going to come out of final exams looking good. The only thing to save my average was creative writing and I’m still grateful for that. At the same time I lost NaNoWriMo and that was hard to come to terms with. Then it was holidays which I already said make me miserable.

So! I’m happy all that is over! Here’s to 2014. That what new years are for, right? Starting over.

Siggy

1. Good luck on your job hunting! Don’t ignore the million-dollar smile too much. It’s worth it to work on that one. (Read any book about business success!)

I definitely noticed the theme change, and I knew something was different even before coming to the site because my email alert called this blog CC. πŸ˜‰

January 10, 2014 at 02:25

• Ugh, I’m so not good at smiling on command! πŸ˜‰ I clam up!
      I didn’t realise changing the header would change the title across everything else too. Oh well, that’s fine too. It’s much more than just cartoons and creative writing now, so maybe it’s good going by the abbreviation! πŸ™‚

January 17, 2014 at 01:25

2. I understand your situation. When I graduated my family and friends thought I’d just step straight into an amazing career. People were giving me shitty advice and telling me to apply for jobs that I either didn’t want or just couldn’t do. Suddenly everyone’s the expert. Don’t let it get you too down.. I did and by the time I actually got a job my anxiety was at it’s worst.
    The only advice I can give is you probably have a lot more time on your hands.. as well as applying for jobs fill your time with things you want to do. Job hunting can be very lonely.

January 10, 2014 at 11:26

• Thank you! People really say the stupidest things. And everyone thinks I’m being bratty for refusing to apply at a publisher. I really don’t want that job, but, yes, suddenly everyone’s the expert. There’s definitely not just one way to get a job!
      I’m okay at the moment, thanks. Things are looking up! πŸ˜€
      And here I was, feeling guilty every time I did something non-job search related! πŸ˜›

January 17, 2014 at 01:30

• Never feel bad for not applying for a job you don’t want. Either you won’t get it because you won’t seem enthusiatic enough on the application / at the interview… or you’ll end up in my position.. a job you hate with everyone telling you that you should ‘stick it out’.

January 17, 2014 at 11:50

• “You can’t afford to be that picky…” “You must stick it out…” Everyone always says that, but I want to know at what cost? Are you supposed to sacrifice your health and mental well-being for the sake of a job? That price seems to me to be too high.

January 18, 2014 at 16:51

• No you’re not, because all you’ll be doing is looking for another while being in a place you hate. Then you’re more likely to apply for more jobs you don’t like just because anything seems better than what you’re doing.. it’s a vicious circle you don’t want to get stuck in..

January 20, 2014 at 13:17

• Definitely agree!

January 21, 2014 at 23:38

3. We dont change, we mature…

Dont worry about job hunting is my first advice.. You will get a job! Just enjoy life….
    Listen to every advice but follow the one you trust, it might be none or maybe one……
    I know its very irritating sometimes… πŸ˜€

A good advice can come from unexpected places!!

I dont know what NaNoWriMo exactly is.. but as far as i remember you have won it ones if i am write.. You proved yourself… your creativity is mindblowing and dont ever doubt that… Your Origami , excellent too!! There is always a reason to smile if you look around….

I want to be a writer .. hardly few come to see my blog and makes me wonder whether i am good but i will not stop writing.. Hence my frequency of posting decreased as i only started to post which i felt would be worthy of whomever may come to read… but i never stopped because i feel happy when i write something…. I might be a bit off topic but thought would tell you this…

You are a very good writer, keep writing and you will surely find a job as well…..

Smile makes a day filled with happiness.. and your blog didnt lose anything, it will always rise and gain…Oh yea the letters are a bit small in this theme but its fine, keep it the way you want.. people who wanna read will always read…

take care.. thank you for the post… Happy Hunting!!

January 11, 2014 at 10:30

• Not necessarily… πŸ˜› Some people will never mature even though they change!
      You’re right, I have indeed won NaNoWriMo three times in the past. That’s what made it so hard to accept that I couldn’t do it again. But sometimes things just don’t cooperate and I think losing for a change was good for me.
      I don’t get many visits either. Don’t be fooled by the amount of followers. My readership isn’t nearly that. I’m happy when I write too. And always remember that there is only one step to becoming a writer and that is to keep writing. πŸ™‚
      Thank you for the comment! πŸ˜€ (Yeah, I don’t know why wordpress seems to think the font is a wonderful size. You could always use the zoom in your browser if it’s a problem.)

January 17, 2014 at 01:38

4. plz yo don’t think like that chillllll out and just keep on trying
    everything will work out fine once you start you will know what to do i like this post sometimes i also think like that

January 11, 2014 at 15:15

• I’m quite chilled, I assure you! πŸ™‚

January 17, 2014 at 01:40

5. Mal

Just be patient, Elana! God moves in wondrous ways… So, Good Luck, my friend.. And by the way, a smile speaks volumes. Go on, dazzle ’em, girl! πŸ˜€

January 12, 2014 at 14:54

• Thank you, this is a lovely comment! πŸ˜€

January 17, 2014 at 01:40