Sometimes I get very annoyed with amateur literary critics

I feel obliged to warn you that this post is very wordy and not very funny at all.

Cover 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

But enough of all of this. This post already contains quite enough words. All I really wanted to do was draw a “headcannon” and then it somehow evolved into a whole post.

Change of topic! It’s weekend! What are you going to do? Anything fun? I’m probably going to spend my weekend agonising over writing updating my CV. I hate CV-writing. It makes me feel like a pompous idiot and usually I worry over the format so much that I paralyse myself over which details to include. If anyone has any tips that they would like to share, I’d appreciate it!

🙂

Siggy

1. This made me laugh, and I actually agree with everything you said. Flat characters annoy the crap out of me personally, but I know sometimes they’re there for a reason as you say, as are unlikeable characters.
    Actually, I should write my CV too this weekend. I haven’t really updated it for 10 years though because I always just sort of fall into new jobs by chance. Which sort of even impressed me when I leapt from retail to high school teaching in that manner, hahaha. But I’m moving overseas in a few months and genuinely need to try and make myself sound impressive now so I guess I should write one up, sigh. Good luck writing yours! 🙂

September 7, 2013 at 10:44

• Exactly, they annoy me too sometimes, but you can’t analyse everyone by the same rigid standard. The great Sherlock Holmes is a flat character (at least for the first bunch of stories), but he doesn’t need to be a rounded character. The stories’ focus is on the plot and his brainpower, not on whether he shows any character development.
      Goodness, that’s lucky! My CV is two years old and is basically a summary of nothing. 😛 I wrote it when I was still undergraduate, so now I have to add my degrees and try not to make all the freelance jobs I’ve done in the meantime sound pathetic. It’s surprisingly hard!
      Thanks, you too! 🙂

September 7, 2013 at 20:51

2. I have writing CV too, even though it sometimes appears to me as a kind of recording what I achieve and it gives me a chance to see what I have or what I can offer for employers. I used to shape my CV in different types, such as simple detail listing (A,B,C,…), putting information in table in which cell I have “Education”, “Personal Information”… (with this type, I have it decored with colour. A bit amateur or unprofessional but it seems to be useful when I apply for a job craving for creativity)… I dont know whether it is useful to you. But I still decided to say it here. I am sorry if my English is not good or makes you angry. 🙂 I will practise more. Thank you for the lovely tips that I always call “awe-inspiring”. Happy Sunday 🙂

September 8, 2013 at 07:03

• Thank you, that is what I ended up doing: little headings, with details in reverse chronological order. I wouldn’t add any colour, though I would love to. I’m in language, not creativity and I’m applying to a bunch of boring left-brainers. 😛
      I don’t have enough things to put in my CV to have different formats for it. It’s just over a page and I put in everything that sounds vaguely relevant.
      No, no, don’t worry! I would never get angry if a non-native speaker of English makes mistakes! That would be horribly unfair of me. What does make me angry is when native speakers who have the means and the education can’t be bothered enough to learn the simplest things, like the difference between “you’re” and “your”. I can understand you just fine.
      Thank you!

September 8, 2013 at 22:25

3. I love the headcannon! I imagined a little voice for it and everything.
    I agree with so many things in this post. I hate people who basically use big words to make themselves sound smarter. Why use something if you don’t know what it means?

September 9, 2013 at 13:45

• Thanks, what did it sound like? 😛
      Yes. Plus, you are already busy on the internet. Couldn’t you take five minutes and look up the term you want to use so you can be sure what it means?

September 14, 2013 at 19:59

• It had a cute little squeaky voice for some reason. I know., but they’re too busy trying to sound smart.

September 15, 2013 at 20:27

4. Nice headcannon! I really like it!

People like to be critical of others because it makes them feel better about themselves. It’s a fact of human nature. It’s very frustrating when they’re amateur, but in general it is a trait I believe all people ought to work on. I really admire those who, though they have every right to be critical (such as if they’re very knowledgeable about the subject) nevertheless try to look at it from all angles and give the author/artist/whoever as nice a review as they can.

September 11, 2013 at 00:02

• Aww, thank you.
      I certainly admire people who can do that, too. Non-constructive criticism is another thing that these amateur literary critics indulge in that annoys me.

September 14, 2013 at 20:02

• Yes! Criticism is good if it’s constructive (and even then I believe it should be sandwiched between praises), but if it’s not it should be limited. I mean, if you want to say why you didn’t like a book, okay, you can criticize it to explain why you didn’t like it, but don’t SEEK to criticize and not even try to find a single merit.

September 15, 2013 at 17:32