The pros and cons of studying language

This cartoon is a bit outdated by now. January is the time for thinking about these things, not February. However, I could not post it in January, because— Oh, you probably all know why by now.

Cover 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

There are, of course, more pros, such as meeting like-minded people while studying languages. For many of us, this will actually be the first time that you meet other bookworms and literature-nerds and get the chance to sit in a class where no-one makes fun of you. But mostly, in this field, you are just going to have to learn how to cope without the respect of society. I wish I was more intimidating…

But I must love you and leave you now. Another con of studying language is the amount of reading and I still have to finish The Merchant of Venice before tomorrow afternoon. Yes, it really is a new Shakespeare every week. I’m not going to get enough sleep tonight.

Until next week and more complaining about homework then!

Signature

1. I like this post who made the illustrations? I used to want to be a writer but music is more enjoyable so i just post my poem on my blog. I guess we do the same things you just use symbols a nd words and I use sound waves

February 28, 2013 at 03:40

• I did. I draw all of my own cartoons. I’m glad you like them. 🙂
      It’s true that music and poetry have much in common. Though prose is more my thing, it does not mean I cannot appreciate music.

March 1, 2013 at 21:17

2. Well, as a linguistics student and freelance writer, this does resonate with me just a little bit… 😉

February 28, 2013 at 03:42

• I’m glad. I was hoping it would resonate with others in the same field! 🙂

March 1, 2013 at 21:20

3. Total agreement, on both the pros and the cons. Language has always been such an important thing to me, and yet it’s so difficult to explain why that is to people who don’t feel the same way. It’s always great to find other language lovers!

February 28, 2013 at 13:50

• Exactly. It can also be really hard to explain your choice of study direction to people in, say, the sciences.
      Well, hello! 😀

March 1, 2013 at 21:31

4. elizabethweaver

I think its admirable you’re studying language & love this post. It’s so true that people won’t give you the warranted respect and that they’ll call you out for every mistake. They’re insecurity (there are too many people tortured over grammar & spelling when these are the least important aspects in written communication/expression) and your strength in following what you love. Life’s short no matter what, so love love love all you can & all you can of what you do. Thanks for the great cartooning.

March 1, 2013 at 01:47

• Really? It was indeed a very scary choice to make.
      Thank you. When I was 17, I realised I didn’t want a life that someone else chose for me and I didn’t want a life that I didn’t love. I was set to study Law. Admitting that I didn’t want that and instead going into a field where your job is uncertain was scary. I grew up with the idea that you cannot be happy in your job, but now I intend to change that perception.

March 1, 2013 at 21:45

5. Reblogged this on dy4m.

March 1, 2013 at 06:27

• Thanks for the reblog! 🙂

March 1, 2013 at 21:45

6. Beautiful cartoons and beautiful post.
    Sorry that I wasn’t able to read your blog during last months. My final exams of 1st Semester ended on 25th February.
    Your blog posts are nice (especially this one) and your blog is a nice place of light enjoyment. It’s not a boring place. And most of all, your blog posts are not lengthy that a person postpone his reading.

March 1, 2013 at 08:53

• Thank you. I appreciate you saying that. 🙂
      You don’t have to apologize! I really admire that you are able to give up reading stuff when you are busy with exams, because that is something that I have a really really hard time with.
      Except for the one about my internet frustrations two posts ago. That story got way too long!

March 1, 2013 at 22:01

7. Reblogged this on Gag Concert.

March 5, 2013 at 02:38

• Thank you for the reblog! 🙂

March 8, 2013 at 01:03

8. Pamina

Funny that I started my first year as a language student just five days after you posted that! 🙂 Oh, and I don’t care what society has to say about that either! 😉

March 23, 2013 at 13:02

• Good luck! 🙂 It’s hard work, but very rewarding as you’re doing what you love! 😀

March 23, 2013 at 14:05