This is a bit ranty… Also, The Hunger Games

Well…

I’m so ridiculously tired right now. If I sit for too long, I fall asleep. This week has been too long. And it only gets worse after this. For the rest of the month, I have at least one assignment to hand in per week. And then at the end, the exams start. Yay. Things are always this crazy just before the end of a semester, because all the deadlines just start heaping up and everyone tries to fit everything in before term’s over. Oh, and of course every lecturer lives alone in their world. No other subjects or work exist. “Why can’t you do three assignments for me? It’s not as though you have anyone else to also give you three assignments, do you?” Bleh.

Photo0466-001

This has been my position for the past few weeks. Keeping my head down, scribbling as fast as possible. I usually end up working at the dining room table, because there are less distractions and the constant traffic past the table keeps me working, instead of dreaming, drawing or staring. Also, it is easier to work there than clear space on my desk. It’s kinda full… of stuff… not work.

My paranoia over assignments is not helping during this time, either. Every time we get written work back, I fear failure. This comes with me from school-days. I’m the kid who goes all wobbly-kneed when I spot the stack of assignments on the lecturer’s table. It doesn’t matter if I know the quality of writing I did, I still doubt it. I have only once failed an assignment and that was way back in first year. It doesn’t stop the paranoia. Tests? Oh yes, I’ve failed a few of those. Mainly French literature. I hardly ever knew what page we were on, much less what the story was about. Anyway, tests are much more salvageable if you fail them. They usually don’t count as much as assignments. So yes, what I meant to say was that I live in constant paranoia at the moment with this stream of assignments. Seriously, I hand in one of the little bastards and then go straight back to the library to start on the research for the next one. I’d rather write this amount of tests in the place of the written work to be honest. I hate analytical essays. All that quoting and referencing and comparing stuff drives me crazy.

Anyhow, I don’t really know why I just subjected you to my complaining over my work. I wouldn’t blame you if you just skipped over the above two paragraphs. Nobody is interested, probably. However I haven’t anything blog-worthy to say this week. I haven’t drawn anything and nothing except work has happened. But I feel guilty about not posting and stats have already fallen through rock-bottom a while back and I don’t like that much. Winking smile So… what I’m going to do is…

I’m going to review The Hunger Games movie. Someone (hmm… no, I don’t know who it was anymore, sorry) suggested in the comments last time that I write what I thought about the movie. I’m calling it a review, but this is mostly my opinion. I’m not going to do all that fancy stuff with the technical details and the actors’ names. If you want to know, look it up. And there are going to be spoilers and spoilers of other movies and books*, because I can never talk about one movie without comparing it to other movies. Right. Everyone still awake? Here we go.

*Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Artemis Fowl and Mistborn, if you must know upfront.

Thoughts I had in the theatre (in approximate order):

• Why does someone have to sit in front of me!? You be stealin’ mah footrest! I can be very uncharitable about my footrest in theatres. Smile with tongue out
  • Ooh, the score is beautiful. (I knew this beforehand, actually. Because I downloaded the score before seeing the movie.) James Newton Howard is a master.
  • Hmm, District 12 does not look at all like I imagined it. Hmm.
  • Aww, no drunk scene for Haymitch. That was hilarious in the book and I was disappointed not to see it.
  • “Mahogany!” Hehehehe!
  • Peeta is cute.
  • Wow, the Capitol! Also, Cinna!! And his gold eyeliner!
  • Girl on fire! Eep!
  • Caesar Flickerman! (Have I spelled that right?) Oh my, my, my, my, what a treat. He was so exactly like I imagined him, so perfect, that I was quite overwhelmed. I couldn’t stop staring at this blue apparition. In fact, I was compelled to say “He looks like a huge, blue peacock on that stage!” Not loudly mind, I’m not that person who comments loudly in theatres.
  • The fire dress! O-O
  • Well, the training is fun to watch.
  • Katniss, haven’t you got another top to wear?
  • “Thank you for your consideration.” Hehehehe!
  • Ah, finally it is starting.
  • I really hate bees. Wasps. Tracker jackers. Whatever. This entire scene made me feel very queasy because I can’t stand swarms of buzzing insects.
  • Rue! Eep!

And… and then all thoughts went out of my mind as Rue was hit by that spear.

Crying1

The girl in front of me gasped so hard and started crying that I felt quite sorry for her. Obviously she did not see that one coming. I knew it was coming and it still hurt. I knew it before I read the book, in fact. Stupid internet. Spoiling that one for me. I had to be rather strict with myself not to join in the general teariness that was going on in that theatre. I never cry over movies or books.

Then came the scene of rebellion in District 11, one of my personal favourite moments. I’m a sucker for scenes like that…

Crying2

I told myself, “Seriously Elana, you’re 20 years old and you’re crying about a picture on a screen. It’s not real.”

Then Katniss started crying. And I decided…

It's real

And I joined in.

That’s it, mostly, for my thoughts. After Rue’s death, I mostly stopped thinking and just sat staring. Though I have to say, I’m glad I was waiting for the muttation to appear when it did, because there was some more general screaming and gasping in the theatre when it did.

Other things:

• I think they did a really great job with the cast. Everyone looked and acted more or less like described. I hate it when moviemakers take a character and, for example, change the hair colour all the way from brown to blond. I always want to ask, “So, why was hair dye invented?” I’m glad it didn’t happen in this movie.
  • I really loved how we got to see the Games Room, or whatever it is called. And also the other districts.
  • At first I didn’t like how they portrayed Haymitch and then he got kind of endearing.
  • Have I said yet that Rue’s death now falls under my category of “Most Painful Partings In Movies”? It now joins the ranks of the deaths of Dobby (In Harry Potter 7), Dumbledore (Harry Potter 6), Root (Artemis Fowl and the Opal Deception), Kelsier (Mistborn 1), and the ending of Lord of the Rings. I tear up every time I see Sam’s face there at the Grey Havens. It never gets any less tragic.

So, in conclusion, I really liked The Hunger Games movie. I couldn’t find anything that seriously bothered me in the adaption and that is quite rare for me. It was a treat mostly and Jennifer Lawrence made a great Katniss.

Aaaaaaaaand… now my words are all used up. Now for a nap… sleep and perchance to dream. (Shakespeare is probably turning in his grave over that mangled quote.)
Winking smile

Sig2

1. It’s ok, animated movies make me cry, like Despicable Me, Rio, Up and Toy Story… just to name a few.

May 11, 2012 at 00:21

• Despicable Me was so cute! But the role of crying over animation is usually reserved to my mother, hehe. 😉

May 11, 2012 at 19:32

2. I hate that moment when I’m all set up and comfy to watch a movie in the theater, then BOOM. Human giraffe decides to sit infront of me.

May 11, 2012 at 04:27

• Oh my word! I read your comment in the library and then I had to stick my fingers in my mouth not to laugh out loud. 😀
      Human giraffe! I’m going to start calling them that now! 😆

May 11, 2012 at 19:31

3. The_Imp

A POST! *runs around like a madwoman* I was WAITING for one! 🙂

Eek! *hig* 😉 So sorry to hear about all the work piling up. Hope things clear up for you after the exams. 😀

My notes on your notes of the movie next! 🙂
    * Grr! I know! But the worst thing is if they keep standing up or talking during the movie. 😦 (And I’m SUCH a hypocrite for mentioning talking, but at least I *try* to keep it quiet-ish and most of the time it is movie related. Not random gossip about people.)
    * THE SCORE! *swoons* JNH is a genius! I’ve always been a fan of his scores. 😀 Seeing his name as the composer of any score is enough to pique my interest. He never disappoints.
    I was quite sad to hear that he wasn’t returning to help Hans Zimmer score ‘The Dark Knight Rises’. The score of ‘The Dark Knight’ is brilliant. 😀 But I’m sure Hans will manage something brilliant on his own-his score for Inception is proof of that. 😉 (And the trailer music for ‘The Dark Knight Rises’, but that went without saying…?)
    *I missed the drunk scene too! 😛 I was waiting anxiously for it and then…nothing. Moving along.
    * “Peeta is cute.” <<*gasp* 😉 My mother said the same thing–and then started naming all the movies Josh has acted in. O.o I must admit when I first saw he was going to be Peeta I wasn't very impressed but he did an admirable job.
    *The Capitol was beautiful! It was the perfect mix of location and special effects. Very close to what I imagined it to look like.
    *giggles at the Caesar comment*
    * Rue! 😦 Just…Rue. I was very close to tears myself. Perfect score for that scene too. Very touching. And that girl…*shakes head* I was starting to thinking people would think I was the girl who kept gasping/clapping/shouting. 😛

Mmm. Sorry. That got wordy. -_- I'll will stop rambling now. *sheepish*

May 11, 2012 at 08:36

• Hmm, you’re waiting for a post, but you still haven’t replied to that flotilla of emails I sent you. Grr! 😛
      Pffft, then I’ll just have another stack of prescribed books to read in the holidays. It never stops! 😉

Right, my replies to your notes on my notes. Wow. What a sentence. 😆
      *Yep! And we don’t kick people in the back. Or stab them, for that matter. 😛
      *Oh, and The Last Airbender soundtrack is good too! We’ll not say anything about the movie… 😛 I trust Hans Zimmer to be brilliant on his own. His other work is excellent!
      *Yes! I wanted to see him fall off the stage and the Capitol being all hypocritically shocked. I guess that was a bit irrelevant to the plot and if you have to cut for time… that’ll be the first to go. Pity. 😦
      *Hmm, I just know him from “Bridge to Terebithia” (sp?). Don’t worry, I won’t start fangirling. 😉 I was actually talking about that scene where he waved at everyone from the train window. He was all like “Oh look, people are actually happy to see me,” and that was cute. 🙂 And he did a great job. The whole cast did, I think.
      *Yes, the Capitol was just real enough, remote enough, and fake enough to be perfect! 😀
      *Rue! 😥 It was the whole bit with the flowers and the salute that made it so sad. It was the perfect answer to the question of how to keep your humanity inside all the insanity.

No, not at all! Your comments always make me smile! You can ramble as much as you like in my blog comments! 😀

May 11, 2012 at 19:29

• The_Imp

I’ll get to those emails. (Hopefully tonight before I turn in. 😉 )

Stabbing people in the back… 😀 Sounds like a lot of fun! *evil grin* 😛

Getting back to the Rue thing. The song playing during that scene is ‘Rue’s Farewell’. It gets me just as emotional as ‘Dobby’s Farewell’…I’m seeing a pattern here. -_- *disturbed look here*

Aww! If you want to sugar-coat it! 😉 *g* Though you’ll only encourage me to ramble even MORE! O.o

May 13, 2012 at 23:33

• I know, the same thing happens to me with “Rue’s Farewell” and “Dobby’s Farewell”. Also, “Dumbledore’s Farewell”, and this pattern seriously is getting disturbing. 😛 Aaaand… “Lament for Gandalf” is close enough to count as well. :’) Those hobbits’ faces… 😦

Ha! 😉

May 14, 2012 at 22:29

4. “Someone (hmm… no, I don’t know who it was anymore, sorry) suggested in the comments last time that I write what I thought about the movie” — that was me. 🙂

I enjoyed reading your post. The Rue scene really made me cry, but not as much as I thought it would. I cried more when I was reading the scene in the book but I suppose I knew what was coming in the movie so I was already prepared for it. Katniss breaking down after Rue’s death was spectacularly well-acted. Jennifer Lawrence’s performance just blew me away.

Good luck with all the assignments and exams. I know everyone always says this but I’m sure you’ll pass. 🙂

May 12, 2012 at 13:58

• Ah, now I remember. Thanks for letting me know. And thanks again for the suggestion, by the way! 🙂

I didn’t cry over it in the book, because I was waiting for it to happen (thanks Internet :/ ) but I was still sad. However, on screen it all seemed so much more real and heartbreaking. Yes, Jennifer Lawrence’s performance was superb. Unlike many actresses, she was actually crying, not just making a noise.

Hehe, thanks! 😀

May 12, 2012 at 19:51

5. peaches92

Just letting you know I nomiated you for the versatile blogger award.

May 19, 2012 at 04:32

• Thanks so much for thinking of me! 😀

May 21, 2012 at 11:47

• peaches92

LooL you are very welcome. I love reading your blog! 🙂

May 21, 2012 at 21:05

6. Hahaha! Well I’m 21 and I cried like a baby, if that makes you feel any better. I was so shocked by how much Caesar Flickerman looked like I expected him to!

May 22, 2012 at 00:33

• Haha! 😆 Thanks, I thought only teenage girls got that upset over THG. Okay, not really. 😉
      That makes two of us! 😀

May 22, 2012 at 22:26

7. Oh! Last post! Well, it’s been wonderful reading through your blog. And thank you for replying to all my comments! Quite impressive for someone who has over 700 followers. I really appreciate it. 😀 Subscription time!

May 24, 2012 at 23:51

• I thought it was impressive how you read and took the time to comment on everything! The least I can do is reply! 🙂 Anyway, I always reply to comments.
      And I actually have 640 followers, not over 700. The rest are Twitter followers, which WordPress apparently adds to that count. Goodness knows why. 😉
      Thanks! 😀

May 27, 2012 at 21:28

• You’re quite welcome. I enjoyed reading the blog. 😉

May 29, 2012 at 15:28

8. Pingback: Book review: The Hunger Games, Pawn of Prophecy, and more. « Cartoons & Creative Writing