My athletic abilities… or, that embarrassing day…

First of all, I’d like to sincerely thank all of those of you who liked or commented on my previous post. Maybe I always appear chirpy and positive, but I am actually extremely insecure about my own writing. Many days I believe that I cannot write one word of sense. Many days I believe that I will never become a writer. So, thank you for the positive feedback. You’re helping to keep my dream alive. This means incredibly much to me, so here’s a picture of a cat to say thank you. A cat wearing a top hat. And it is indeed sitting on a mat.

Cat with a hat on a mat

It took me hours, because I’m so useless at Photoshop. Let me work in GIMP and I’ll have it done in a jiffy, but, oh my, Photoshop is hard to learn.

Now that that’s out of the way, here is this week’s cartoon!Cover

I have absolutely no athletic talent. I am completely useless at anything physical. The only kind of sport that I was vaguely good at school was the long distances running, and even that was not because I was good at it. I was just too stubborn to give in when I was tired and everybody else was super bad at it. Do not even ask me to run a block these days. That is what you get for working in the library all day.

Anyway, this is what happened the first time that I had athletics trials in school, when I had just started school.

We had to run the hundred metres and sit down beyond the finish line when we got there. I proved to be so slow that my whole group were already seated when I was still approaching the finishing line. That I had to run in the under 7 years group (the youngest possible) and I was only 6 and 2 months at that stage probably did not help, now that I think of it, because some of the other people were already 7, or almost 7.

And I had to go through this every year, because the school held trials every year, probably hoping that some late-blooming talent would reveal itself. After all, you’re only worth something to the school if you can bring in prizes. If not, just go keep yourself busy somewhere. I had to try everything: javelin – I nearly poked someone’s eye out; high-jump – I landed on the beam, ouch; long-jump – I got my shorts full of sand from skidding on my bum, but that was all; shot put – I nearly broke a toe. In the end, I concluded that I had the athletic ability of a tree.

Actually, most trees would have done better at soccer than I did. (That’s football to all you weird people.) In my final year of high school, they constantly made us play soccer for Physical Exercise.

(Most) trees do not fall over if they get hit by a soccer ball. Elana, however, proved that she does fall over when hit with a soccer ball. This is no great effort for me, as I have the ability to fall over my own feet while standing still.

This was not my only fail at soccer, however. If I ever got the ball and managed to dribble it, I quite often forgot which one was my team’s goal. But seeing that our goals were often represented by two schoolbags and a tin can, I consider it understandable that I got confused. I also sometimes forgot which people were in my team and then I passed the ball to the wrong people. Oh dear, sorry.

I also quite often ran up to the ball, meaning to kick it and then completely missing it, running right past it and kicking empty air. Clearly, I have no aim.

But the best fail-moment of all… Oh, that embarrassing day…

I’ll let the pictures speak for me:

Yes, I tried kicking the ball, actually aiming straight this time, and ended tripping over it. Ouch. It was my class’s entertainment for the day. The girl who could trip over a soccer ball. It’s like the new version of The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet’s Nest. Winking smile

Now it is rather funny, but it really wasn’t funny when it happened. Ah well, that’s what school is for, isn’t it? Making embarrassing memories that you can laugh about in a few years’ time.

And… that’s my story for today.

Tomorrow I’m finally going to go see The Hunger Games. I know, I’m the last person in the world on the bandwagon. Anyway, when I checked before release to see when it was coming out, I saw that it was rated 16 for violence. And I was thinking that simply meant that my 15-year-old-face and I were going to have trouble at the ticket office again. As usual. They always give me trouble. Why would I ask for an adult ticket if I was a teenager? So that I could pay more? Not likely. One of these days, if they doubt my age again, I should just toss my driver’s license on the counter and say “Read my birthdate. Read it!” Um… what I meant to say was that I see the rating has now been dropped to only 13V. Hopefully, they won’t give me trouble now, but then again, I’d believe anything.

Sig2

1. Loved it!

April 27, 2012 at 13:50

2. The tripping over the ball was funny Lol. . . Nice post!

April 27, 2012 at 15:00

• Hehe, yes, I think it is funny now, too. I didn’t think so back then. 😆

April 27, 2012 at 19:24

3. Everyone doubts their own abilities sometimes. It’s really hard not to do that and I bet even the most well-known writers get bouts of insecurity about what they do. I think it’s natural and normal.

The athletics cartoons made me laugh….there’s nothing more embarrassing than embarrassing yourself in front of your school friends. My athletics ability isn’t great either!

And I hope you enjoy The Hunger Games. Maybe do a little cartoon about what you thought/your reactions to seeing the movie? That would be fun.

April 27, 2012 at 17:21

• Thank you! 🙂
      Mmm yes, maybe I could. I’ll see what I can do! 😉

April 27, 2012 at 19:25

4. Hahahahaa, you’re not alone, I sucked big time at Physical Education class, but nowadays I go to the gym, I run, take Spinning classes, do yoga and some weightlifting, so go figure…

April 27, 2012 at 17:23

• Ahaha! Maybe there’s still hope for me then! 😉

April 27, 2012 at 19:13

5. You have a refreshingly quirky writing (and drawing!) style – love it!

April 27, 2012 at 18:17

• Hehe, thanks! 😀

April 27, 2012 at 18:53

6. !!!
    I LOVE hundred meter! We had a track meet yesterday, and I got first in my heat for hundred meter :mrgreen:
    14.something seconds.
    Soccer? I hate soccer. My friend sprained a leg playing it, and my other friend is still on crutches recovering from a bone broken in two parts because of soccer. I prove that when a teammate pass me a soccer ball, I get so nervous I kick it in a random direction.

April 28, 2012 at 03:15

• Ha! Well, I’m glad someone likes it and can actually do it! Congrats! 😀
      Ouch, that sounds painful! Luckily I never broke anything, except maybe my ego! 😉 Hehe, yes, I used to kick at random people, usually in the wrong team, as well! 🙂

April 28, 2012 at 20:25

7. At least your person looks good in her suit! There are a lot of us identify with your insecure feelings. I wrote a whole book about my journey.
    Try telling your internal editor to take a nap and just get your idea “on paper ” so to speak. Then let your editor fix things. Hey! That would be fun see you draw about.
    Doubts are normal. Just don’t let them cripple you. Keep on drawing and writing!

April 28, 2012 at 03:34

• Hehe, I can guarantee you I did not look good in it! Who looks good in their PE kit anyway? 😉
      I do send the editor off on a long break when it’s NaNoWriMo, however that’s kind of hard to manage at any other time of the year. And when the editor returns… oh dear. Then everything seems horrible. Maybe I should try bribing it with food so that it’s in a better mood! 😉
      Thanks for the lovely comment! 😀

April 28, 2012 at 20:15

• Chocolate is always nice!

May 2, 2012 at 05:10

• That it is! 😉 I could always use the overeager editor as an excuse to have some! 😆

May 3, 2012 at 17:53

8. Anna Dunk

You have such a talent! The writing and images you create are very entertaining. Every person has their own strengths and weaknesses. Remember that! 🙂

May 1, 2012 at 04:56

• Aww, I could do with remembering that more often!
      Thanks for the lovely comment! 😀

May 1, 2012 at 16:33

9. Ha ha! Great post! Very entertaining!

May 24, 2012 at 23:39

10. I have a serious lack of athletic ability, so I know your troubles! Although it was never so bad for me because the extent of my trials were family backyard games. But with six brothers, that can be quite intense in and of itself. They laughed at me a lot. 😛 It got to the point where I stopped playing fair and just made up my own rules. Although I had a pretty powerful striker’s kick at one point. But it’s gone. Now I trip over my own feet at work and it’s amazing if I burn myself less than six times each shift. Coordination was not given to me.

Also, I love your writing. It’s unique and creative and makes me smile. 🙂

Just to let you know, you’re not the last person on earth to get on the Hunger Games bandwagon. I have yet to read any of the books OR see the film. 😉

June 25, 2012 at 21:36

• With my lack of siblings, I just had the people at school to laugh at me. All I ever had that was remotely an athletic talent was the stamina to run the long distances. But that was mostly because everyone else was so bad at it, not because I was good. 😛 No, coordination was not given to me either…
      Aww, thanks, now I don’t know what to say! *hug*
      Hehe, well that makes me feel better! 😉

June 30, 2012 at 23:30

• Well, determination is a skill that I believe to exceed athletic ability, so huzzah for us! It’s not like we want to be pole vaulters or professional ice dancers or anything like that–we want to write! So who needs athleticism!? Not us! ;D

*hugs back*

I’m glad! I’m sooo behind on stuff. I got back from England and had at least five episodes of all my favourite shows to catch up on. 😛

July 1, 2012 at 09:08

• Yes! Books and writing are much easier! 😀
        Me too! I need to read heaps of blogs! And come and comment on your pictures! 😉

July 19, 2012 at 23:20