More Awesomely Embarrassing Moments in the Library

So… when I got that Annual Report from WordPress on New Year (I still want to know out of what blue that thing fell from), it gave me some very interesting statistics. One of them was the most popular search term that people found your blog by throughout the year. And lo and behold, mine was “library cartoon” – which was how I tagged that very first cartoon that I ever posted on this blog, and then never used again. Is it irony that my first little old, finding-my-feet, post should turn out so popular with the search engines? By the way, you can see it here, and then you can do a case study of how my style developed in 7 months’ time.

Anyway, seeing that people seem to like library cartoons so much, I feel fully justified in doing some more. I present to you… *can I have a drumroll, please*

Cover

I did sleep quite a lot in the library last year, and not enough in my bed. Those of you who have been around for a while will know that the library is basically my hang-out. I hide from social situations in there.

Asleep

I listen to my iPod in the library whilst I work. But then, especially if a catchy song plays, I sometimes start bouncing in my seat and mouthing the words along. The looks I get for that are really embarrassing.

Rocking out

You know those silences that can suddenly fall in a crowded room that was buzzing only a moment before? Yes, those…

Silence

Our library has really, really narrow spaces between the shelves. That the books often overhang their shelves do not help matters either. They are quite discriminatory those shelves, really. I’m short, mostly petite and thinner than most. And I sometimes have trouble turning round with a bag on my back. So I don’t know what people bigger than me do. On top of that, stuff like this is always happening:

Book-trolley

Yes, then someone with a book-trolley will come down the row where you are standing. And there is only space for one at a time. One of you is going to have to back off. Sometimes it will result in a staring match. But someone will have to reverse in the end. Usually it will be me. Librarians do not take nonsense from books or students.

I hope you all enjoyed that! At the moment I’m working on a tutorial on how to fold an origami box. I will announce it here when I am done with it. Also, before I forget, if there are still any procrastinators that still want to download my 2012 calendar over there in the sidebar –> do it now. I’m going to remove the download box within the next few days (as soon as I stop procrastinating).

Hope everybody has a lovely weekend! Open-mouthed smile

Sig2

1. Love it!

January 28, 2012 at 04:26

2. Really liked your post and visuals! Added some entertainment to my Friday night. I enjoy your writing style =) Cheers!

January 28, 2012 at 07:43

• I’m happy I could contribute to a great Friday night! 😀

January 28, 2012 at 21:45

3. Don’t forget about the needing to pass gas problem. Doing what you think will be a silent one that turns out not to be. Talk about embarrassing. Or, somebody does an SBD near you, walks away, it stinks and just then another person walks near you and assumes you did it and gives you a dirty look. That’s just lotsa fun…

January 28, 2012 at 09:41

• Hehe, thanks for sharing! 🙂

January 28, 2012 at 21:45

4. Nadia

Bouncing in your seat and mouthing the words along to an awesome song isn’t at all embarrassing! I bet ya, you made people’s boring arse day at the library! 😀

January 28, 2012 at 12:38

• Ha! The people in there certainly do not appreciate weirdos like me! I’ve gotten quite a lot of glares if that happens, and even one or two shut-ups and “sit still”. Ah well, everybody in there are stressed about assignments and tests, so I guess you would just want to snap at any distraction around you. I always want to tell off the people who sit and chat for disturbing me! 😉

January 28, 2012 at 21:49

• peaches92

LOOL Omgg I do that too, I always take some sort of music with me to the library and just sit there singing and the lady at the desk always looks at me and gives me this look. LOl I find it so funny sometimes, and like even when I don’t take music, I just start singing out of no where! And it’s true, the world just doesn’t appreciate our weridness!

February 1, 2012 at 01:50

• Haha, that’s good to hear! 😀

February 2, 2012 at 20:54

5. I know how you feel. We all learn as we go. I love the cartoons. keep learning and posting.

January 28, 2012 at 18:30

• That’s very true. Thank you! 🙂

January 28, 2012 at 21:50

6. Ah, the awesome days of youth spent in the library…I miss those days…aaaah! I’m to young to be feeling old >.<

On another note…awesome post, thanks for sharing 🙂

January 28, 2012 at 19:31

• *sigh* Me too. I miss the days when I could go to the public library for enjoyment. Now it is the university library to work. No wonder I fall asleep there so much! 😉
      Thank you!

January 28, 2012 at 21:53

7. Your drawings are so cute!

January 29, 2012 at 02:09

• Aww, thanks! 🙂

January 29, 2012 at 14:52

8. I think everything in your post happened to me at some point or another…
    Love this post :>

January 29, 2012 at 07:05

• Glad to hear I’m not the only one, thanks! 🙂

January 29, 2012 at 14:52

9. I’ve an advice for you if you accept it.
    One of my friend from America used to make cartoons in Paints. She used to create a lot of pictures, then put them in a video. Then she used to record audio on it.
    So, why don’t you also put all these pictures in a video or just a simple .gif file. It gives the comfort to the viewers to see all those cartoons without scrolling it. Moreover, it becomes the same cartoons as we see in TV.
    I hope that you’ll like this suggestion.

January 29, 2012 at 13:45

• Hmmm… No. I could do that of course, with heaps of time, but you’ll see that most of my drawings are actually loose from each other. There would not be much point in binding them into one. Also, uploading video is a huge pain for. Pictures work much easier.
      Anyway, I want people to read and think, not just sit staring at a TV screen.

January 29, 2012 at 14:49

10. Your post made me laugh out loud. So true! I do exactly the same thing when I’m listening to my iPod. When I’m traveling via train I have to remind myself not to start mouthing the words otherwise I do get stared at! 😀

January 29, 2012 at 14:00

• Yay! I’m glad to hear that! 😀

January 29, 2012 at 14:43

11. katkasia

Waking up to find a small pool of dribble on the desk – how to deal with that? That’s really awkward.

January 30, 2012 at 03:14

• Awkward indeed! Thanks for commenting, Katkasia! 🙂

January 30, 2012 at 19:03

12. Kim

Those are SO cute!!!

January 30, 2012 at 08:26

• I’m glad to hear you think so! 😀

January 30, 2012 at 19:11

13. Lol. I enjoy rocking out in the library too. 🙂

January 31, 2012 at 02:33

• Hehe, awesome! 🙂

January 31, 2012 at 19:06

14. This is quite funny, especially the stand-off between you and the library worker. Great stuff, hope to see more of this type of stuff in the future!

January 31, 2012 at 06:35

• Thanks for letting me know! 😀

January 31, 2012 at 19:09

15. I enjoyed your post really. I had times like that in library in my university years.:))

February 1, 2012 at 10:03

• Thanks for letting me know! 🙂

February 2, 2012 at 20:53

16. Very, very fun post. Some of the comments too. A nice way to begin my Friday.

February 3, 2012 at 12:54

• Awesome, everyone should have a great Friday! 🙂
      And yes, the comments are sometimes more fun than the post itself.

February 3, 2012 at 22:57

17. Elana: I was trying to find a cartoon of a blogger with a thumb that went down to the ground … and google sent me to you! No such cartoon, but very confusing at first! My blog looks exactly like yours but with different content. I’m an English teacher in Canada and write my blog for my students. I’m at watsonwork.wordpress.com

Do you think you could help me solve a problem? I’ve been trying to figure out how to put a picture where you have your picture. How did you do that? You also have that kind of word salad thing at the side with key words. I love that. I have 90 kids I’m teaching how to make a blog. I might be technically insane.

Hope you read this and have time to answer. And I love your cartoons, by the way!
    Christine

February 5, 2012 at 00:24

• Oh, Google has referred people to me on the strangest terms! I always enjoy reading it!

Which picture are you referring to? The one of me in the sidebar? That is the “Gravatar”-widget. Obviously, you need to have a gravatar for that to work, which I see you don’t have at the moment. Or you could simply use the “Image”-widget.
      And the word-salad thing in the sidebar is the “Tag Cloud”-widget.

You have more courage than me! I checked out your blog and it took me way back. To Kill a Mockingbird, Romeo and Juliet, Macbeth… I’ve studied all those! And I would have loved to do Agatha Christie in class! 😀

Thanks, Christine!