I’m completely overwhelmed. I should introduce myself.

Hello to all readers – the old and the new!

Two days ago I was still a blogger who had just announced 10,000 hits on her blog and was very happy about this achievement. Seriously, was it a coincidence that one week after I made that announcement my blog would get Freshly Pressed? I remember making a joke with my best friend, who commented on the 10,000 post and said she hoped that there would soon be 20,000 hits. I made a joke of it and said that I hoped to be able to make that announcement before the end of the year. Well, friend. I can now make that announcement 10 days later. Can you now understand why I feel completely overwhelmed by all this attention? 3 days ago I was a blogger with something like 50 followers and one or two comments per post. I’m not used to this kind of deluge. I actually had to switch off my email alerts because I was getting a WordPress announcement literally every minute.

Right. Now that I have got that out of my system…

Hi. My name is Elana. I’m 20. I go to university where I study languages. I really like languages, their makeup and grammar. I’m studying to become a language professional. Yes, that person who checks up your writing and then points out all the mistakes. On top of that, I really want to become a published writer – I won NaNoWriMo last year and I am working on refining that novel. I draw all the illustrations (unless otherwise noted) on my blog myself.

Now that is probably enough for now! Welcome to everyone who newly subscribed. I really hope you will enjoy reading my blog!

I still have an announcement about how I want to change up the posts that I do this year, but being Freshly Pressed threw off everything that I planned. I also still have a huge backlog of comments to pay attention to.

This happens to me all the time:

1. Hi Elana, I’m Laura and a new subscriber. I find your drawings completely charming and your posts new and refreshing. Thanks for the inspiration!

January 20, 2012 at 00:05

• Wow, that was a fast comment! 😉
      Hi Laura, nice to (virtually) meet you! I’m glad you like it so much and thank you for subscribing! 😀

January 20, 2012 at 00:13

2. Great blog you have here, I love it! Also awesome to find another nano-er blogging away! Keep up the great work, I’ll be checking back here more often!

January 20, 2012 at 04:04

• Glad you like it! I’d love to see you back. 🙂

January 20, 2012 at 21:01

3. Hi Elana. THAT also happens to me all the time. And I would appreciate it if people stop trying to make a conversation while I am reading. 🙂

January 20, 2012 at 04:44

• I saw a mug the other day that said “I’m reading. Go away.” Now that is something I could use! Yes, I hate it too, when people try to ask me what the book is about when I am trying to read.

January 20, 2012 at 21:04

4. hi elana, just a passerby here, getting acquainted w all this blogging stuff. i just started mine a couple of days ago, to be creative and try something new. i haven’t written anything much in years and finally conceded to the inclination to get started. so far, so good. been writing every day and noticing thoughts coming to mind that must go to paper – even snippets of sentences. we’ll see what develops.

feel free to stop by my blog (kellyisgolden.wordpress.com – not sure if there’s an automatic link here)and check it out whenever you like. congratulations on your accomplishments!

January 20, 2012 at 07:57

• I’m someone who is forever spouting about the wonders of writing everyday. I hope it works for you!
      Thanks for commenting! 🙂

January 20, 2012 at 21:09

5. Hi Elana, I love your sense of humor ^.^ question: what’s NaNoWriMo?

January 20, 2012 at 08:18

• NaNoWriMo stands for National Novel Writing Month. It’s an annual internet event that takes place in November. The short version of it: the goal is to write 50,000 words of a novel in 30 days. So, as you can imagine, it is quite a challenge to write 1667 words every single day. You also tend to run out of plot round about the third week. But I love it. I’d do it again like a shot.
      Oh, and “winning” NaNoWriMo simply means that I completed the 50,000 word challenge. There’s no real competition or prize. You can read more about it here: nanowrimo.org

January 20, 2012 at 21:17

Sounds like something I definitely wanna check out ^_^

January 21, 2012 at 10:15

6. Sorry, I forgot to introduce myself, I’m Cedrick, also a new subscriber and yours is the first blog I’ve ever subscribed to 🙂

January 20, 2012 at 08:20

• Hi Cedrick! 🙂 Wow, I’m flattered! 😉

January 20, 2012 at 21:11

7. greenscorpio

Hi Elana! 😀 Congratulations on making it on Freshly Pressed!! 😀 I think I can relate to how you’re feeling (JUST A TEENY TINY BIT)! 😀 I hope I’d find my blog on FP too! 😀 Keep up the good work!! 😀

January 20, 2012 at 09:41

• Haha, thank you! 😀

January 20, 2012 at 21:10

8. Great work! Happy to meet you on WP. Hope to read more of your interesting posts and enjoy your illustrations 🙂 And I especially like your field of study for I am a wordy nerd too 🙂

January 20, 2012 at 09:45

• I hope to please you with some more interesting posts and illustrations! 😉
      Wordy nerds unite! 😀

January 20, 2012 at 21:19

9. Hi! I’m also a new subscriber, and I really like your writing skills!! And I suppose I’ll use to read your blog also to improve my English!
    I really liked the post about “The idiocy of English language” ^__^

January 20, 2012 at 12:23

• It’s definitely true that the best way to practise English is to read it and to listen to it!
      Thanks! 🙂

January 20, 2012 at 21:20

10. Eki Akhwan

I’m subscribing to your blog too. I like people who know how to craft words enchantingly.

January 20, 2012 at 14:43

• Thank you for subscribing! 🙂

January 20, 2012 at 21:21

11. Mal

Elana, you are smart, pretty and talented…wish you much success in your endeavours! 🙂

January 20, 2012 at 17:22

• Wow, thanks for the compliment! 🙂

January 20, 2012 at 18:56

12. FinallyFast.com

The comparison is brilliant.

It’s true that people judge the the value of a book by its quantity and not quality. Then when they actually have to read a bigger book, they quickly feel overwhelmed.

BTW nice drawings 🙂

-Anja

January 20, 2012 at 20:06

• Thanks Anja!
      Yes, I know so many people who will freak out at the thought of reading a book with more than, say, 200 or 300 pages. I’m thinking of Lord of the Rings, the Sword of Shannara trilogy or A Dance with Dragons. Those are all weighty! 😉

January 20, 2012 at 21:25

• And all awesome. Though, 200 – 300 pages is basically standard for a novel nowadays. The real behemoths are the 700+ page books. A good example and good series is the Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind

January 21, 2012 at 10:22

13. Nadia

Absolutely wonderful to see another cartoonist on here. Can’t wait to see more!

January 21, 2012 at 00:17

• I hope to have a new post soon! 😀

January 21, 2012 at 20:15

14. Rae

Congratulations on getting Freshly Pressed, you deserve it!

And I feel your pain about books. I used to get made fun of when I was a kid for checking out multiple books at the school library at once. Luckily reading isn’t usually frowned upon anymore more once you get past the age of 16.

January 21, 2012 at 00:25

• I was the same and still am. My friends still laugh at me when I walk out of a library with a grocery bag of books 😛

January 21, 2012 at 10:24

• Yes, me too! But luckily that is true, Rae, that people laugh at you for being a nerd when you are a kid and then admire you for it when you are grown up. Thank goodness! 😉 Urgh… school libraries…
        I only get one or two books for enjoyment reading these days – on account of having too much other work – but I often go turn them in for new ones less than once every two weeks!

January 22, 2012 at 17:59

15. Matthew

So wait, was this man hiding behind the bush? So many questions. I would be careful, though. By the way he sounds, he might be in the group LMFAO.

January 21, 2012 at 03:40

• Well, he might have been. I think it is more likely that he just walked up from the side, though.

January 21, 2012 at 19:56

16. Congrats on NaNoWriMo. I signed up, but completely biffed. Wish they had a graphic novel NaNo etc etc.
    I enjoy your blog and just subscribed. (and indeed, I saw your Fresh pressed post…sigh…I can only envy your notoriety!)

January 21, 2012 at 07:31

• They do have 30 days, 30 Covers, or whatever the official name is! Yeah, it’s not easy – especially when you land in a plot bog!
      Thanks for subscribing! 😀

January 21, 2012 at 19:38

• I won NaNo once… totally failed the next two times; I blame having kids. Oh well. Maybe next year!

January 22, 2012 at 12:25

• I don’t have any kids to blame, but I totally blamed my near-losses both times on the stupid people who came and talked to me as I tried to write! 😉
        Congrats on winning it once – it’s still an achievement!

January 22, 2012 at 16:59

17. Congratulations on your freshly-pressedness. 🙂 It’s funny you should mention being interested in language; I am too, although I’m currently tearing out handfuls of hair over Aramaic grammar. Don’t ask. Nice to meet you. 🙂

January 22, 2012 at 12:24

• Thank you! 🙂
      I won’t ask seeing that I once had a little contact with Aramaic in an Ancient History class. That was quite enough! 😉
      Nice to meet you too!

January 22, 2012 at 17:03

18. Elana,

I found this blog on the Freshly Pressed page (congrats!) and I agree completely about the idiocy of the English language. I also sympathize, I had a blog that ‘petered out’ as well. I switched it to private, and started on a new blog (theblog777.wordpress.com) and I woud appreciate it very much if you would take a look and possibly comment. I will keep coming back and reading about these things from your point of view!

-TheBlogger777

January 22, 2012 at 20:36

• Hmm? Oh, it’s okay. That blog never had any wings to fly anyway. I’m glad I started this one!
      I enjoyed your post about the colour-blindness! 😉
      Thanks for stopping by!

January 24, 2012 at 01:35

19. Aj

Hello Elana

10,000 hits in 10 days woaaah ! You completely deserve this kind of attention.

Incredible blog with great illustrations !

I recently mentioned one of your blog posts in my blog about “How to write great blog post ?”(http://arundeep.wordpress.com/2012/01/23/what-makes-a-blog-post-good/) Because I felt it was a fitting example of how to write a good post !

Keep it going and I will definitely be coming back !

Aj

January 25, 2012 at 04:54

• Hey!
      It was more like 36 hours, but yeah. Freshly Pressed was quite overwhelming! 😉
      I’m glad to hear that you think so!
      I saw that, because of the pingback, and you made me blush with your glowing description! 😉
      I hope to please! 😀

January 26, 2012 at 01:15

20. Belated congratulations! Sorry I missed all the hubbub, you certainly deserve all the extra attention.

January 28, 2012 at 05:08

• Oh hey! 😀
      Hehe, thank you! I’m not used to it at all! 😉

January 28, 2012 at 21:44