I izz Grammar Nazzzi!! Arr!!!

This may be a tad rant-y. Sorry. But I hope it’s maybe slightly funny as well.

Grammar Nazi

How can you not like this little swashbuckling fella? So, you like him, yes? Well then, can you tell me why Grammar Nazis get so much hate? We’re just as swashbuckling as that little guy! Seriously, however…

Things that bug me about bad grammar is neither the occasional slip-up nor an honest mistake by someone communicating in an acquired language. No, it is when a native English speaker communicates in English, but is too lazy to either learn correct grammar, or to use correct grammar. When you try to argue with me using the old clichéd argument “Ugh, grammar is silly and unnecessary!”, you are only strengthening my low opinion of you. When a person with all the advantages in the world tells me that “I can’t be bothered to learn correct grammar”, it grinds across my raw nerves. Why? Because grammar is neither silly nor unnecessary. If there were no language rules – grammar – any attempts at communication would be mutually incomprehensible. If your grammar is incorrect, you will not be taken seriously within any mature circles.

But actually I cannot care whether you will wonder for the rest of your life why nobody takes you seriously. Why I actually get angry about people who cannot be bothered to get even the basics of English grammar correct is because… GUESS WHAT?! I am not a native English speaker!!! So if I can go to such an amount of trouble with my grammar in my acquired language that I have reached the point where am I bothered by the mistakes native speakers make in their language, why can’t you? Yes, you, you advantaged native English speaker who could have learnt English grammar with far less trouble than I had to through, if only you could be bothered.

Of course, I am human too, and I too make occasional mistakes in my grammar. But following below are a few basic grammar/spelling pointers, and I can guarantee you that I never make mistakes with these anymore. So, if you want to do me a favour, and you haven’t yet thrown your hands up into the air screaming “Oh, get a life! Why do you make it your business to be nit-picky over my grammar?”, learn the differences between these words. There is plenty of help for that on the internet – if your computer is too precious to leave and happens to be the reason why your language is suffering.

Grammar Nazi2

But there is not one English grammar mistake in this world that bothers me as much as… *drum roll here please*

The titanic battle between:

Grammar Nazi3

Yes, there is a difference. A big one:

“your” = possessive. It is used as an indicator that something belongs to you or someone else.

“you’re” = a contraction for “you are”. If you are not sure, try fitting “you are” in its full version into the sentence. If it fits Thumbs up! If it doesn’t, you know you’re wrong, and because you are not stupid you will then think whether your sentence has something possessive in it, and turn to “your” if so.

If all else fails, get a good grammar checker. Purr-lease? Nerd smile

1. AjRocker

Watch this. A humorous perspective on grammar Nazis. 🙂

July 11, 2011 at 08:46

• Haha, thanks for this! I enjoyed watching it. 😀

July 11, 2011 at 22:26

2. mohit

please suggest me few websites where i can learn english,also it is good to see that u finds time to write or reply ..ha ha.

July 14, 2011 at 04:59

• I always read and try my best to reply when I can. I think that’s just polite, when other people have taken the time to read and leave a comment. 😉
      Websites where you can learn English? Well, the key to learning is reading, reading and then reading some more. You could go to Dictionary.com and read some of the interesting definitions on their homepage. Or subscribe to their Word of the Day emails. And you could read the English Wikipedia about subjects that interest you and pick up vocabulary in that way. If you find that too difficult, there is also a Simplified English Wikipedia. And if I were you, I would take myself over Project Gutenberg and find myself a nice free eBook to read. I love that site! 😀
      Thanks for subscribing here as well, by the way! 🙂

July 14, 2011 at 19:45

• thanks a lot,well i found a way to tackle with my english learning,now i have started listening english songs and just english,now i try to make sense out of words and i find solace in music ,thanks for directing me to Project Gutenberg,i would definitely like to read and learn english this way,Thanks again 🙂

July 19, 2011 at 06:33

• Listening to songs is a great idea! 😀 And I’m glad it helped! 😉

July 19, 2011 at 22:30

3. Pretty, all hungry. Other are the at around; death. But, and you are, that is, if we are, or least, that is, you’re but: we you are, that is, smart life. Even way all kind to something. Better; so or if kind.

You’re so pretty, and if you’re smart, that’s even better; or that’s the other way around; or at least that’s if you’re kind.

But, we all are kind to something.

But, we’re all hungry.

Death.

Life.

July 17, 2011 at 00:40

• Thank you for commenting. Even though I don’t have a clue what you were saying! 🙂

July 17, 2011 at 16:42

4. You are a grammar Nazi in a secondary language? That is impressive! I’m also a grammar Nazi (but English is my mother tongue), so I totally understand this post and am with you for everything. “If you write plz because it’s shorter than please, I’ll reply no because it’s shorter than yes.” 😉

May 22, 2012 at 22:39

• Unfortunately yes. 😆 (People don’t take it well, so I mostly avoid mentioning the secondary language bit. 😉 )
      Haha! The only times I would use “plz” are in online games where it’s vital to get your meaning out as soon as possible, and possibly in a tweet if I ran out of space. And that’s seldom. 😉

May 23, 2012 at 19:52

• People don’t take it well that English is your second language and you’re a grammar Nazi? That’s silly. You obviously have a good enough grasp of the language to be one!

May 23, 2012 at 20:13

• I think it’s the egos that get hurt… 😛 Many first language speakers take it as an insult to be corrected by a “second-class speaker”.

May 24, 2012 at 19:07

• They should swallow their pride and say thank you!

May 24, 2012 at 22:15