Synaesthesia

Sparked by a quiz I saw on the internet, I started thinking about my synaesthesia again. I don’t think about it a lot actually – it’s part of me, so I don’t find it strange or weird like outsiders always seem to think that it must be.

Anyhow, yes: I have synaesthesia. No, unfortunately not the cool kind where you associate or “see” a colour when you think of a letter or number, to put it simply. No, I have spatial orientation synaesthesia, which means I always see the months of the year and the days of the week arranged in the same 3D pattern around my personal space. It always feels as though I can reach out and almost touch them, but they are too ghostly for that.

And then, linked to that, I have grapheme –> colour synaesthesia, but only slightly, as I only have it for certain numbers, and not for all of them. Anyway, I won’t bore you with a description of where I perceive the month July… so I drew some cartoons – about synaesthesia… Trying to depict my experience on a computer screen… I think I failed! Smile

This is a depiction of how you can begin to feel with your senses crossing over, and stimulating you from all angles. (Yes, I had fun with the colours!)

Synaesthesia3

This is what the number “84” looks like in my head (I’ve always loved getting an 84% on an assignment or exam paper, because I see it as such a lovely bright red number and it sparkles!):

Synaesthesia1

And this is what “66” looks like to me. It is always bright yellow, and it looks as though the sixes are jiggling up and down!

Synaesthesia2

Anyway, I hope this wasn’t a “too-psycho”-post! (I’m not quite mad – synaesthesia is relatively harmless!) Winking smile

1. The_Imp

Only RELATIVELY harmless?! O.o

I kiiiid! 😉

Ek love die 84 btw! Sooo pretty! Red! 😀

June 16, 2011 at 21:37

• Jy kan altyd seerkry as jy ‘n sensory overload kry! So, yep – “relatively harmless”! 😉
      Bly jy hou van die 84! Hy het mooi gekom! Die 66… not so much! Stupid shadows wou nie werk nie.
      (Dit voel nogsteeds weird dat ek ‘n post gedoen het oor iets waaroor ek nie baie praat nie! Na mense my weird aangekyk het toe ek klein was… I did not mention it again. It’s kinda like coming out of the closet, or something! 😉 )
      Thanks for reading! *hug*

June 16, 2011 at 22:32

2. The_Imp

Okay…hoekom sien ek die comment nou eers?! -_- *fails at life*

Actually, ek dink blog posts is ESPECIALLY useful om goed te discuss wat in real life soms net moeilik is… 😉

Also LOL at the ‘coming out of the closet thing’. (Yes I’m still amused at that DYAC link you gave…I don’t think it’s ever going to completely disappear. …Sorry…random!)

*hug back*
    *looks sheepish*
    Hey, online hugs is easier as RL ones! 😀

June 28, 2011 at 23:33

• Ek weet nie hoekom sien jy dit nou eers nie! Seker omdat jy nou eers gekyk het? 😉 Een ding wat ek van hierdie comment system hou is ek het jou eerste comment een keer approve, en dan al die volgende comments van jou account af word automatically approved. Yay! 😀 (That was my random for the day! 😉 )
      And it’s true: it is kinda easier to discuss some things on blogs than in real life. (Try tellin’ that to the ‘rents!) And you can decorate your words on a blog, which you can’t do IRL!
      *giggle* Yep, daai autocorrect was net SO awkward! Ek wonder wat het die ma volgende gese: “No, dear, I don’t think you’re gay, you’re just acting kinda gay!” “MUM!”
      Virtual hugs FTW! Yep, ek moet partydae hugs verdra by uni, en van my ma af hoeveel keer per dag. Maar virtual hugs to people I know are not awkward at all! 😀

June 29, 2011 at 21:48

3. That’s so cool! What exactly do you mean when you say the months and days are clustered around you three-dimensionally? Like, Sunday is always above your head and Tuesday’s by your left elbow or something?

May 22, 2012 at 01:33

• Yes, like that. Sunday’s by my right ear actually. Then all the rest follow in a downward sweep until Friday is by my left hand, Saturday above my head and then it starts again. The same goes for the calendar months. May is next to my right foot actually. 😛

May 22, 2012 at 22:22

• Well, I think that’s extraordinary!

May 22, 2012 at 22:26

4. Shhh

Snap! 🙂 The pictures are great! I cant seem to get my images out to make them….images. They’re sort of everywhere. Wish i could draw mine then my boyfriend would understand and wouldn’t make visually uncomfortable sounds such as clapping or coughing!!

September 5, 2012 at 22:44

• Aw thanks! 😀 Yeah, it’s really hard, I can’t draw or explain most of it. Usually, people just end up looking at me weirdly! 😉

September 6, 2012 at 22:59